Summer is in full-swing over here and in the unlikely event that your kids may get bored (insert eye roll here), we have a fix! Our girls love making jewellery and this craft hit the spot, because it takes longer than 5 minutes and it produces something pretty great that your kids can be proud of.
My oldest chose to turn her cracked crystals into necklace pendants, while my little one keeps them in a vase - they're her magic jewels, and we have a few as magnets on the fridge.
Here's what you need and what you do:
• Flat-back glass crystals (clear)
• Nail polish
• Glue (optional)
• Blank round bezel pendant bases (optional)
1. Preheat your oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Spread out the crystals on a baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes.
3. While the crystals are in the oven, prepare a bowl of ice water.
4. When the crystals are done baking, put them in to the ice bath right away. Keep your face clear of the bowl - we've never had one hop out when it cracks, but safety first! Caution: the bottom of the bowl will be HOT! Crystals will come out looking cool and cracked. 5. Allow the crystals to cool in the ice bath.
6. Once cooled, dry them off and apply nail polish to the flat back side.
7. Let dry and VOILA! Use them how you wish.
8. For OPTIONAL pendant, you need some blank round bezel pendant bases, and some jewellery glue
Ta-da! Boredom relief, for at least a little while.
We made a lot of these, like, A LOT. So family and friends: expect some of these in your Christmas stockings ;-)
Big Hugs, Erin & Karla